Minutes of Village Council Meeting, 3rd June 2019

Present: Lynda Findlay, Chair, Anne Arrigoni, Treasurer, Androulla Richford, Secretary, William Findlay, Jennie Harvey, Neil Tollick, Steven Morrison.

Minutes of last meeting read. Proposed Anne Arrigoni and second William Findlay.

The chair welcomed and introduced PC Ian Harvey, Community Officer.

PC Harvey, A community Officer for 5 years at Kirkonnel and Kelloholm, updated the meeting about reports of vandalism, and anti social behaviour locally and urged that people noticing anything suspicious or to call 101.

Matters Arising:

The chair reported that new fencing has been replaced near Townhead cottages mine shaft.

Also noted that the gully pump visited the village but only one gully had been cleared.

Correspondence:

A letter from D&G Planning Department addressed to the Community Centre has been handed to the VC. In this letter it is suggested that person/s had made an enquiry to the Planning Dept, as to whether the Community Poly Tunnel had received planning permission.

The VC also received a letter from ‘BayWa r.e. UK Limited’ advising “ of their acquisition of the onshore wind business of Forsa Energy, which was formerly known as 2020 Renewables. New name for the company proposing the 30 turbine wind farm in and around Wanlockhead.

Treasurer’s Report:

Wanlockhead Village Council 3/6/2019

Windfarm Account

Opening Balance £1,371.00

No Income

Expenditure

Cheque no. 100094 Lisa Edwards for Silver Band 150.00

Closing Balance £1,221.00

Village Council Account

Opening Balance £1,085.34

Income

Jumble Sale monies 69.92

Expenditure

Cheque no. 200025 Community Centre rental for Jumble 40.00

Closing Balance £1,115,26

Micro Grant Applications:

VC in receipt of two micro grants of £250 each

  1. From Elaine Wakefield for Leadhills Gala
  2. Steven Gillespie for School children to attend play in Edinburgh.

The above applications were discussed. Due to the micro grants being finite for the year, and with 6 months before the next application. Also there are plans for a possible children’s and pensioners Christmas event. Plus £400 from micro grants maybe required for planning applications for 2 other projects. It was felt that we could not make the grants on this occasion. Chair to contact applicants.

Large Grant Applications for Christmas Tree frame was discussed and chair and treasurer to apply.

Village Gardens:

Chair will contact the ‘payback team’ to come and do some grass cutting. It was also agreed that a “No Camping in Village Gardens” sign be put on the garden gate. Recently, visitors to the Community Centre put up a tent in village gardens instead of CC gardens.

Poly Tunnel Produce:

Potatoes, carrots, beans, courgettes broad beans, herbs. Mostly salads and seedlings and some vegetables for growing on your windowsills and gardens. Look for pots available on garden wall, Also please come along on a Sunday morning and collect what is available.

It was discussed and agreed we join the group ‘Social Farms & Gardens’ that offer help and support and exchange of information. www.farmgarden.org.uk

Wind Farm Inquiry Update:

Isobel Gibb, together with Gerard Godfrey, attended the meeting held in Sanquhar on Wednesday 29th May. At this meeting the procedure for the Inquiry was set. We have to produce documents and statements by the middle of July. The Inquiry will take place the first 2 weeks of October.

Still waiting to hear the final details from the SG Reporter.

Meeting ended 8.20 pm

NEXT MEETING MONDAY 1ST JULY

Minutes of Village Council Meeting, 6th May 2019

Present: Lynda Findlay, Chair, Anne Arrigoni, Treasurer, Androulla Richford, Secretary, William Findlay, Mac Blewer, Peter Scott, Steven Morrison.

Apologies: Neil Tollick and Jennie Harvey.

Minutes of last meeting read, corrected and approved. Proposed by Lynda and second by Anne.

Treasurer’s Report

Wanlockhead Village Council 6th May 2019

Wind farm Account

Opening Balance £539.00

Income

Foundation Scotland Micro grant funds £1,000.00

Expenditure

Cheque no. 100089 Victoria Chanin Entertainment licence £168.00

Closing Balance £1,371.00

Village Council Account 6th May, 2019

Opening Balance £1,165.35

Expenditure

Cheque no. 200024 Jennie Harvey various items for

garden project £80.01

Closing Balance £1,085.34

Correspondence:

Secretary in receipt of invoices for yearly update payments to providers for village council website. Will pay and produce the invoices for reimbursement at next meeting.

Chair had been contacted by Freya Grant from the Estate and David Rogerson visited the village to evaluate fencing. A hole reported on the path past the Hass House that had been reported several times over the last few years. Still remains unattended.

Only 3 weeks ago the Secretary was contacted by Harry Pickburn to report that a walker on holiday knocked on his door to report that he had come across a large hole on the path coming down towards Hass House, which he thought dangerous.

According to the Estate office the path in question is on land which belongs to the Bowling Green land now under the control of the Museum.

Twenty Shilling Wind Farm – the Chair and Treasurer attended a meeting regarding community benefits. The chair produced a map showing where the underground cable power lines will be laid for the Power Station in Glenglass.

Tripod for village Christmas tree – was discussed. Committee members to get together to apply for grant as well as 2 other quotations that are required.

First Aid – for residents previously proposed and the village leafleted. So far 7 residents have reported an interest in taking part.

Micro grant – application from Lisa Edwards on behalf of the Leadhills Silver Band who will be taking part in a Festival to be held in Crawfordjohn at the end of May. The Event would have taken place in Wanlockhead Community Centre if it was not already booked. Also adults and children from Wanlockhead are members of the band.

After discussion it was unanimous that we donate £150 towards the event on behalf of the village.

The new village signs – We have had comments that the 1531 on the sign is not very visible. The chair contacted Fiona Dobney, involved with the project to request what can be done to remedy this.

Jumble Sale – Posters up, leaflets in every door – so far 10 people booked tables.

Gardens/Poly tunnel – Secretary updated the meeting of progress. The good weather is helping all the seedlings coming along we hope to have some for sale at the Jumble sale to raise money for more compost and plants to enable us to plant in the new containers in the village gardens.

Mac Blewer – came along to thank and update the VC on how the micro grant he obtained for 110 saplings for planting in the Millenium Path was used. Mac also reminded the meeting of a talk arranged by WCT, that will take place on the 19th May at the usual monthly update on ongoing talks with Buccleuch about the proposed village buyout.

NLEI Wind farm proposal. The secretary updated the meeting regarding the Inquiry – there will be a further meeting to attend on Wednesday May 29th. More updates next meeting.

MEETING ENDED 8.18 pm NEXT MEETING 3rd JUNE.

Minutes of Village Council Meeting, 1st April 2019

PRESENT:

Lynda Findlay, Chair, Anne Arrigoni, Treasurer, Androulla Richford, Secretary, William Findlay,

Alan, Mackie, Harvey Paterson, Margaret Mackay, Jane Brydon, Bill Brydon, John Oliver, Isobel Gibb, Steven Morrison, Natham Kennedy, James McKelvey, Dean McKelvey, Johnny Hazlett, Kym Clements, Peter Scott.

No Apologies

Minutes of last meeting were read and approved. Proposed by Isobel and seconded by Anne.

Matters arising – Delayed payment from Foundation Scotland. Paperwork submitted.

Treasurers Report:

Wanlockhead Village Council 1st April 2019

Windfarm Account

Opening Balance £777.00

No Income

Expenditure

Cheque no. 100093 WCT (tree guards and stakes) £238.00

Closing Balance £539.00

Village Council Account 1 April 2019

Opening Balance £2,065.35

No Income

Expenditure

Cheque no. 200019 (man and digger cost for poly tunnel in

village gardens) £900.00

Closing Balance £1,165.35

Wild Fire Festival to be held last week end of June – Venue – Wanlockhead Inn.

In March, the VC was contacted by the Museum Trust and invited to meet and discuss with them and the Community Centre SCIO the above event. It was agreed by VC members that the Chair contact all those concerned including the Wanlockhead Inn and invite them to attend the VC’s April meeting for all to air their concerns.

Margaret Mackay, a Trustee from the Museum attending the meeting was invited to speak to the meeting. (Margaret read to the meeting from a 5 page document which is too long to reproduce here but the gist of it is as follows)

The Festival organisers had approached the Museum to see if the Bowling Green would be available to be used by festival goers as a camping facility. And whilst appreciating this event would bring benefits to the Museum and others in the village, the concern is that of numbers attending and toilet and other facilities available to accommodate them and responsibilities for cleaning and keeping order.

Isobel Gibb, chair of Community Centre SCIO, confirmed they had been approached as to the availability of the Centre to be used as additional venue for the Festival. As yet had not received a confirmed booking. But was also concerned that basic facilities were adequate.

James McKelvey, Proprietor of the Wanlockhead Inn reported that he was disappointed that he had not been contacted directly by those with concerns about the Festival. He reiterated that the Inn and its grounds are the main venue for the Festival with toilet facilities inside and outside the Inn. As well as the public toilets in Wanlockhead. He also stated that there are 200 tickets for sale. The Inn has sought the appropriate licences/permissions. And this Festival is no bigger than the Gold Panning Championship held by the Museum at the end of May Bank holiday.

The Chair thanked Margaret for attending the meeting.

The Chair then invited Harvey Paterson and Alan Mackie from Leadhills & Wanlockhead Railway for their update on the Wanlockhead East Extension. There was a lengthy and at times technical information imparted (too technical for the minute taker). Now we have a copy of the plan A4 size attached with these minutes. Also there are larger scale plans available in the Community Centre for viewing, as previously advised.

Main points: The station will be visible from the main road

There will be a car park for 10 cars fenced off with a gate for passenger use (and for Ski Club to use when in operation)

There is a 3 year plan for completion once plans approved (if all goes well it will open Easter 2023.

Steven Morrison concerned with too much water running at Townhead of village and that this could be attributed to the railway workings. Alan Mackie confirmed that they had permission from the Estate in 2018 for trial pits. He followed, by saying the problem is that of inadequate drainage. Most water comes from the hills. Lynda to contact D&G about drainage issues.

Sink Holes, pot holes, chair had been waiting for Stewart Cavens from D&G Council Roads Dept. to join her for a walk around the village to point out the areas needing attention.

Poly Tunnel Update:

Androulla informed the meeting that planting of herbs and some vegetables has been done and more to follow. A watering rota is in place and generally people turn up on Sunday mornings for more planting and planning.

Clyde Wind Farm Update:

Lynda and Anne attended the last meeting. Next round of large grants should be in by 3rd July, 2019. Balance in account £17,000.

Next Panel meeting for 10 September 2019 to be hosted at the Wanlockhead Community Centre.

NLEI Wind farm proposal:

The preliminary meeting for this Inquiry will be held in Sanquhar on the 1st of May. Members of the VC will be attending.

Village Christmas Tree support/guard:

A quotation from Orchard Engineering, has been obtained by Steven Morrison on behalf of the VC.

More information to follow.

First Aid – further information:

Androulla has been looking into the possibility of organising first aid course for villagers and obtaining a defibrillator. There was a discussion and it was agreed we assess demand first.

Defibrillator, Isobel suggested we contact Billy Lockhart Mid and Upper Nithsdale Building Healthy Communities.

AOB

Peter Scott asked the meeting if we thought “the village was no longer a peaceful and quite place”?

He offered that there seems to be too much traffic too late in the day, mostly delivery vans. After discussing the merits or not of on line shopping and present day requirements and living in a remote village the meeting ended 9.15 pm.

Next meeting 6th May.

Village Council News

VILLAGE COUNCIL NEWS & INFORMATION

It is time for our AGM which will take place on Monday 11th September at 7pm in the Community Centre.  We hope you will feel able to attend and exercise your democratic right to stand for or elect your Village Council.

The VC meets on the 1st Monday of every month at the Community Centre at 7 p.m. We generally finish about 8.30 – 8.45 so in the scheme of things one hour forty five minutes a month of your time to take part in decision making and looking after the interests of the village would be greatly appreciated and be of great benefit to our community.  It would be good if the VC grows in numbers and skills.

Wind Farm – once we were given the task by a majority in the village to oppose the proposal, we tried to do what we could.  The formal VC objection was posted on 14th August, 2017.  We would like to thank all those who helped and all those who sent in their own objections.  We will keep you posted.

We have been approached by a student who wishes to carry out the following project:-

Ruth McNeil, an MSc student with the Open University, is undertaking a project looking at how communities are engaged with.  Her case study is the NLEI proposal.  She was at the Wanlockhead Community Centre on the 5th July, when the Environmental Statement documents were there for review.  Some members of the community have already spoken with Ruth about the background of the proposal.  However, she is keen to gather further viewpoints from the local community, if you can spare some time to discuss your thoughts about the proposal and in particular the engagement you have experienced so far from the developers.

Ruth is happy to come back to Wanlockhead to chat face to face or over the phone if this is easier.  If you are happy to participate, please contact Ruth on ruthmcneil92@gmail.com and she will contact you to set up a mutually agreeable time to talk.  Ruth thanks you in advance for your time.

During the last few VC meetings it has been proposed by a few residents that we look into acquiring an ‘Out door Gym for the village, using Clyde wind farm funds. Apparently there is a similar gym in Sanquhar. It was agreed at our last meeting that we would ask what the village thinks.  Please let us have your views and ideas.

NEXT VILLAGE COUNCIL MEETING – MONDAY 2nd OCTOBER.

Buccleuch’s objection to Twentyshilling Hill Wind Farm

Have a look at the Twentyshilling Hill Wind Farm Planning Applications Committee Report here.  On page 13 you can see Buccleuch’s objection to the application.  You will see that Buccleuch’s objections could easily be transferred to the North Lowther Energy Initiative proposal from the community’s point of view!!  Also the NATS objection on page 10 is interesting.

Twentyshilling Hill Wind Farm Planning Applications Committee Report

Wind Farm Objection Information

The time has come to OBJECT to BOTH of the proposed wind farm applications which have now been submitted.  The deadlines for objections are:-

Harry Burn Wind Farm – 10th July 2017

North Lowther Energy Initiative (NLEI) Wanlockhead – 27th July 2017

Please click on the links under ‘Wind Farm Updates’ above for each of the wind farms or click on the links below.  Each link will take you to the proposed style objection letter for that wind farm.  The style letters can be changed to your own personal preference.  Please spread the word – share with all of your contacts near and far and ask them to send an objection letter.  ANYONE can object to these applications to Save our Lowther Hills.

Harry Burn Wind Farm

North Lowther Wind Farm (Wanlockhead)